Monday, June 16, 2014

Curry Lentils

It is currently STORMING in Bloomington, Minnesota. Winds up to 60mph, branches breaking off of trees, downed power lines and boats capsizing. It's a perfect day for my new favorite curry lentils recipe.  I must admit, being a full time cook has been FUN! Having a husband that loves all food and eats almost anything makes it pretty easy, and even the disasters get consumed. 

I have always been a little scared of curry, but after attempting several recipes my fear is gone. I love it. It is so flavorful, and people think you are an amazing cook. My favorite recipe right now was taken from combining two different recipes that I didn't like separately, then combining to make an AMAZING one pot dish. 

So as a sign of being fully married and embracing my domestic side, here's the recipe. 

Take 1 and 1/2 cups of lentils and rinse them, removing all debris and set aside.  
Take a three quart sauce pan and over medium heat. 
Add 3 tablespoons of coconut oil (or butter but I like the coconut for the curry) and a whole chopped onion. 
Cook until the onion is browned and caramelized. 

While the onions are cooking in the pan, I put the spices together in a small dish: 2 cloves of pressed garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric, 1/2 ground cardamom, 1/2 teaspoon grand cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg. 

Once the onions are done, add the little bowl of spicy goodness to the pan. Stir constantly until it smells AMAZING. It takes about 30 seconds. Then add the lentils to the pan stirring constantly. Once you feel like the lentils, onions and spices are well combined, add 6 cups of broth. 

Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down. You will probably need to simmer for at least an hour. But really it depends on how you want your lentils cooked. I like mine well done. Once the lentils are close to your desired consistency, open a can a coconut milk and turn the heat back up to medium. Bring to a boil once more, adding the coconut milk and stirring constantly to combined everything. 

Voila! Some of the most amazing, one pot, easy, curry lentils you will ever make. I like to serve with fresh rice and  fresh spinach. The spinach wilts with the heat of the curry and is really yummy. 

Full recipe below. Enjoy! 

3 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic  pressed
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
a pinch of freshly-ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups lentils (brown or green work)
6 cups vegetable or chicken broth (I prefer chicken)
1 14oz can coconut milk

-Elizabeth 

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I had never cooked curry before getting married (too scary, and I was worried my family wouldn't like it). As with you, my husband will devour all of my attempts at cooking.....even the disasters! I tried curry a few months ago, and he/we LOVED it! Can't wait to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete